Gerald Marlin, DMD, MSD
Meet Washington DC Prosthodontist Gerald M. Marlin, DMD, MSD
Dr. Gerald Marlin, has been Recognized as a Washingtonian ‘Top Dentist’ for over 20 Consecutive Years by His Peers. His Experience, Continuing Education and Unsurpassed Qualty of Work has Earned Him the Distinction as as One of the Washington D.C. Region’s Leading ‘Problem Solving’ Cosmetic Dentistry and Dental Implant Restoration Specialists
Since the time that he established his private practice here, Dr. Gerald Marlin has maintained “an unwavering dedication to excellence.” Through this commitment to provide excellent himself, Dr. Marlin provides his patients with long-lasting (35 years vs the national average of 7-10 years), optimally aesthetic restorations that his patients have virtually no future problems.
- View Dr. Marlin’s National Speaking & Lecturing Engagements
- View Dr. Marlin’s Professional Associations & Editorial Roles
- View Dr. Marlin’s Advancement of Dental Implant Technology & His U.S & Foreign Patents
As such, he is a leading specialist in dental implants, cosmetic dentistry, sedation dentistry and restorative dentistry in the Bethesda–Chevy Chase, Northern Virginia, and Washington DC Metro Area, having inserted and restored over 3,600 dental implants. Dr. Marlin received his DMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania and completed a master’s degree in Prosthodontics from Boston University.
Dr. Gerald Marlin pioneered the technique for creating custom, anatomic implant abutments that have a full emergence profile (see patents below), regardless of the location or how the implants were inserted.
Dr. Marlin is an accomplished martial artist, a work-out enthusiast, and, along with his wife, Patty, a dedicated parent of 3 and a proud grandparent of 6.
We are renowned for problem solving people’s failed dentistry, smile makeovers, and implant therapy/issues. This therapy requires superior training, experience, and attention to detail, which we consistently provide. This is also why I developed an in-house laboratory that is head-and-shoulders over commercial laboratories by providing custom, well-fitting, vibrant crowns that are custom-fabricated.
-Dr. Gerald Marlin- Prosthodontist and Cosmetic Dentist
Why Choose Dr Gerald Marlin?
- Is a specialist (Prosthodontist) with extensive training in all phases of mouth restoration.
- Works closely with his in-house technician to achieve custom aesthetics and a very precise fit.
- Was voted by his peers as one of the best cosmetic dentists in Washingtonian Magazine’s “Best Dentist” surveys for over 30 straight years.
- Provides crowns lasting over 35 years.
- Is the most experienced specialist in the Washington area with implant placement and dental implant restoration (3,400 surgically inserted and restored).
- Is frequently called upon to solve complex restorative problems (see problem solving your care).
Renowned Cosmetic Dentist
In addition to providing exceptional restorative dentistry, Dr. Marlin has long served as a respected and well-established cosmetic dentist in the Washington DC, Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington area.
Advanced & Continuing Education
Dr. Marlin received his DMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree in Prosthodontics from Boston University. His long-standing experience and incomparable professionalism make him a leader in the field of Prosthodontics.
Washingtonian Top Dentist: Washingtonian Magazine has recognized Dr. Marlin as one of the Washington DC area’s “Top Dentists.”
watch: Get to Know Dr. Gerald Marlin
watch: With Many Options for Dental Implants, Why Choose Dr. Gerald Marlin
Continuing Education & Nationally Recognized Industry Speaker
Dr. Marlin, Top Prosthodontists Washington DC, is committed to Prosthodontic and cosmetic dentistry education and is a nationally recognized lecturer in this specialty field in the Washington area and beyond.
He has spoken and lectured at many universities and national and state dental organizations on implant reconstruction, including:
- The University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- University of Maryland School of Dentistry
- NYU College of Dentistry
- Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
- UCLA School of Dentistry
- Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
- The Academy of Osseointegration
He has also trained over 450 dental technicians on how to fabricate the best emergence profile implant abutment for tooth restoration. In addition, he has developed and provided training programs to dentists and dental technicians in house laboratory, on new techniques for restoring implants, as well as developing a dental technician’s hands-on training program for restoring dental implants.
Dr. Marlin is proud to be associated with the following professional and service organizations:
- American Dental Association
- District of Columbia Dental Society
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- American College of Prosthodontists
Dr. Marlin is also a member of the Editorial Content Review Board, presently serving a 2-year term as Editorial Board Chairperson, for Your Dental Health Resource Magazine, a comprehensive international online resource for oral health and dentistry professionals, which specializes in providing both patient information and dentist-authored articles.
As a prosthodontist he offers dental care including dental implant surgery, crowns, veneers, bridges, all-on-4 dental implants, dentures and more. From years of experience and training, you always know the teeth you need fixed, restored or replaced will not only be the best in Washington DC, but you will be hard pressed to find a dentist nationally that can restore teeth like they do at Elite Prosthetic Dentistry.
Advancement of Dental Implant Technology & Holder of U.S & Foreign Patents
Prosthodontist Dr. Marlin, has not only earned the distinction of one of the Washington D.C. region’s top Prosthodontists, but he also contributes to and advances the field of dental implants directly by inventing a dental implant restoration system. As part of this work, Dr. Marlin holds multiple pending and issued patents related to dental implant restoration, making his experience nothing short of exceptional. His patented implant system solves many problems with restoring angled and rotated implants, which is a significant industry problem.
In addition to Dr. Marlin’s most current patents in the U.S., (9,364,299 and 10,390,908) and Europe (EP2922492), he holds 5 previously issued U.S. and 3 foreign patents.
You can schedule a consultation with Dr. Marlin and his team by contacting us today!
Technological Advances & Patents in Implant Technology
Dr. Marlin has inserted and restored over 3,400 dental implants, but he also contributes to the field of implants directly with exhaustive research and revolutionary ideas within his specialty. He has invented an implant restoration system and holds multiple pending and issued patents related to implant restoration, making his experience nothing short of exceptional.
As a part of his being in the vanguard of implant-supported crown, bridge, and hybrid appliance therapy, Dr. Marlin has six United States patents and several foreign patents covering implant restoration. His latest United States patent (issued on June 14, 2016) is the first of several upcoming patents that claim an exclusive set of components and digital techniques for restoring all implants worldwide. It solves many problems with restoring angled and rotated implants, which is a significant industry problem.
Industry-Recognized Speaker and Lecturer
Dr. Marlin is committed to Prosthodontic and cosmetic dentistry education. He has lectured at many universities and national dental organizations on implant reconstruction and has trained 450 technicians on how to fabricate the best implant restoration. Since 1985, Dr. Marlin has been working with his own in-house technicians to provide dramatic aesthetic results with the finest in quality control. In addition, he has provided training programs to dentists and dental technicians for restoring implants. He developed a dental technician’s hands-on training program for restoring dental implants and is the inventor of two Implant Restoration Systems.
When it Comes to Dentistry, You Have Many Options. Make the Informed Decision with The Patients Guide. Get your copy here.
Elite Prosthetic Dentistry of Washington DC
His great sense of humor, willingness to listen, and integrity are just a few of the reasons why his patients are so loyal and continue to stay with him, whether they live in the Washington Metropolitan area, or Scottsdale, Arizona, or Paris, France.
By bringing together a team of dedicated individuals, including a caring team, an in-house laboratory technician, and a group of excellent co-therapists, Dr. Marlin provides the most premium care possible through his commitment to excellence and warm disposition. This kind of quality is reflected in great-looking crowns that have lasted at least 20-35 years (3-4 times the national average).
He is thankful for his loyal patients and looks forward to growing his Elite Prosthetic Dentistry family with new clients pursuing brighter smiles!
You can schedule a consultation with Dr. Marlin and his team by calling 202-244-2101 or contacting us online today!
A Conversation with Dr. Marlin
I wanted to be able to perform the highest level of restorative dentistry, and, ultimately, be able to make a dramatic difference in people’s lives. As specialists in restorative, cosmetic and implant dentistry, we are called upon to provide the best restorative and implant surgical care. The creativity and logical problem solving that gets the WOW from the patients is a real high.
A great many patients come to us with serious problems: some are aesthetic, some are functional (breakdown of restorations, teeth, and/or bite), and many are both. Some require implant therapy, which adds a whole other dimension. Personally, I love the challenge of breaking down the problems to the lowest common denominator and then rebuilding the mouth to perfection. Overall, making a difference in people’s lives by restoring them to a point of health with aesthetic results that are superior to what is generally being performed out there is an important driver to me and my team. Our philosophy is “do it right, get it right.”
A warm, friendly, highly professional environment provided by a top end staff. Our facility is large (3,000 sq feet) with all the treatment rooms having “picture windows” overlooking a wide-open expanse.
I received my DMD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine and a master’s degree in Prosthodontics from Boston University Graduate Dental School.
What dentistry do you specialize in?
I specialize in prosthodontics with a subspecialty in periodontal prostheses or reconstructing the partially or fully broken-down adult dentition. This specialty includes implant surgery and restoration, cosmetic design and makeover, reconstruction of the broken down dentition, and crowns, veneers, and bridges.
Provide the best possible therapy based upon the “pursuit of excellence” in every aspect of practice-from the initial diagnosis, alternative treatment plans, and detailed therapy sequence resulting in unmatched final results. Our single-minded focus on “getting it right” with top fitting, very aesthetic restorations has resulted in crowns that last over 35 years and 3,400 surgically inserted and restored implants with a 97-98% success rate over a 10-20 year period. We have assembled the best team of top professionals to provide this therapy in a very friendly, efficient, and comfortable environment.
What methods did you employ to accomplish your goal of becoming a successful prosthodontist?
- In 1985 I spent 5 days with one of the top ceramists, Masahiro Kuwata, in a technician training program to, in turn, train our inhouse technicians to provide world class porcelain having internal color with highly translucency enamel to create our “simply natural, simply radiant” restorations.
- Also, in 1985, I was one of the early prosthodontist adopters of the osseointegrated implant therapy, including being the first one in the Washington area to take on the implant placement surgery. Therefore, we would always have the strongest foundation at the outset with ideally placed implants generating ideal final aesthetic and functional results.
- In 1990, I invented and patented an implant restoration system used to restore 14,000 implants successfully. This contributed to our reputation.
- In 2011, I invented and patented another implant restoration system that automatically corrects for surgical error when placing implants and consistently provides the optimal “drop-in” final abutment and crown.
- In 2017, I took over bone grafting procedures to create broader, stronger implant sites before or during actual implant placement to obtain the best aesthetics and function.
- In Feb 2021, I developed a very comprehensive, informational website with Aesthetic Brand Marketing for prospective patients to research any aspect of Implant, cosmetic and reconstructive dentistry.
I work out several days a week. With three children and 6 grandchildren in the Washington metropolitan area, my wife and I see family members most weekends. On the side, I am also continuing my work in my venture project, the automated implant restoration system, when not doing all of that. I hope to also go back to my golf game in the spring.
The “epiphany” on wanting to become a prosthodontist came from the first few days of orientation at the University of Pennsylvania dental school, followed by reinforcement in lectures during my first year. Penn is the institution that invented the subspecialty of periodontal prosthesis, which became my area of interest. Seeing the clinical results from rehabilitating the broken-down adult dentition from the top players in the field inspired me to specialize in this area of prosthodontics.
I am intensely dedicated to top performance and performers and providing my patients with the best therapy, loyal to family, friends, patients, and people I work with, and to business/practices with whom I have established a working relationship, and comprehensive in my approach to any work-to-task projects.
Several of my professors at U of P and BU set the standards for top-end therapy, which I incorporated early on into my practice and became the basis of our corporate culture. At this stage in my career, I am a mentor to others in the field in any one of several areas, rather than being mentored.
Making a dramatic difference in many people’s lives over the years has been very rewarding. It is quite satisfying to have inspired a vast array of top team members to provide service following the “pursuit of excellence,” ending up with our patients receiving top service and the very best, longest-lasting restorations.
We hold a unique (solo) position amongst our prosthodontist competitors:
- We are one of the few pros practices that provide end-to-end implant therapy-from extraction and ridge (jaw) augmentation (bone grafting, internal sinus lift) to surgical implant placement to restoration using our own in-house technician
- We are one of the only pros practices with a full-service crown and bridge laboratory (not a milling lab) providing custom fabricated crowns, implant abutments and crowns, and bridges.
Therefore, we consistently deliver what we offer and, as a result, are known as problem-solvers for salvaging dentitions with optimal aesthetics.
About Our Dental Office
Whether you are experiencing discomfort, aesthetic flaws, or a grievous dental issue, your treatment must be effective, long-lasting, and in your best interest.
We are pleased to be your problem-solvers from crowns and veneers to extractions and implants, our office of dental specialists will offer you excellence in care and we hope you will choose us to be your practice of choice!
Our approach to dental evaluations and treatment recommendations is comprehensive. For our long-term patients, those who have visited our website, and those who have been referred to us by other practices, we consistently resolve the most difficult dental issues.
When you choose Elite Prosthetic Dentistry, you can expect:
- Great, long-lasting results provided to you in a caring, professional environment
- “Simply natural, simply radiant crowns“, veneers, and implant restorations provided by our in-house laboratory
- Top quality dental crowns lasting over 35 years (over 3X the national average)
- 97% success implant-supported restorations (much greater than the national average).
- Unsurpassed problem-solving for aesthetic, functional, and failing restoration issues
- The most experienced, professional dental team in the Washington D.C. area
- Oral and I.V. sedation available to make dental procedures less stressful
- Comfort and XM Radio while we take good care of you
- Most patients experience much less pain than expected with our pain management system when undergoing implant surgery, bone grafting, or other surgical procedures
Continuing support for years to come as we closely monitor your condition at your follow-up hygiene-care appointments